If spreading of casteism and dividing the country in terms of religion is a crime, then the politicians of this country are the biggest perpetrators of this crime. And we all know that they are not indulging in this crime for the upliftment of any particular caste or religion. The motive is only one that of gaining the support and votes of a particular caste. The politicians know very well that once people of a particular caste are uplifted and are able to stand on their own, they would stop voting.
It’s a sad predicament in India that people who do not have anything else to do only feel the need to vote while a majority among us don’t understand that we are forced to do a lot of things which our conscience does not permit and waste our time and energy on that, only because we don’t exercise our right to vote.
Suppose you do a case study of a particular Lok Sabha or Assembly constituency which falls within a rural or semi-urban India, you will find that there will be two major parties fighting for the seat, a couple of minor parties and a few independents. Each of the major parties might be having the support of about 20% of the votes. The minor parties which would definitely be a caste or religion based parties would have about 10% support each and independents can garner a support of 5% on their own. The constituency will be dominated by one or two caste or religion, which may constitute 35% of the electorate. The remaining 65% may be the educated, uplifted or so to say casteless community.
The major political parties who have about 20% support talk loud about the majority caste or religion in the constituency on how they are suppressed and suffer etc. to gain that additional 10% vote to win the seat. Considering some cross voting taking place among the major parties, the person who talks louder on caste or religion wins the seat by polling just about 30% vote in his favour. The reason being the most of the 50% casteless community and the enlightened part of the majority caste do not exercise their right to vote which results in the victory of a candidate by polling less than one-third total votes in his favour.
Take the case if 90% of the electorate in the constituency goes to vote. The major political party cannot just talk loud on a single dominant caste or religion in the constituency to win the election because in that case their votes alone will not be sufficient for his victory. The politician will be forced to talk on real issues and in terms of performance and upliftment of the downtrodden.
Four major outcomes will emerge from a near 100% voter turnout in the elections.
1) Divide of the nation in terms of caste and religion will definitely get reduced.
2) Real and actual upliftment of the downtrodden castes will happen as the politicians will have no benefit in keeping them downtrodden.
3) If at all money is being distributed in elections, they will get reduced as the politicians cannot afford to distribute money to all the voters in the constituency.
4) Last but not the least the governing and performance efficiency of even the most non-performing politician will look upward when they realize they can no longer win election in religion or caste platform.