Hari the Hadron

Monday, February 28, 2005

INDIA BUDGET- 2005

The month of February sees hectic activity in the Indian economic, business and political community with only one word being the guiding force behind all their actions and inactions and that is “BUDGET”. That way the budget is somehow given a larger than life image in India, so much to say that a finance or corporate affairs professional is considered incompetent if he or she does not watch the parliamentary budget session live and does not have in his or her fingertips the budget proposals even as they are spelt out. Hence due to professional compulsions I myself had to go through the grind for about three hours today morning.

But analyst worldwide have expressed their opinion that the Annual Budget in India or for that matter anywhere in the world does not have much relevance when looked practically, among others for the following reasons mainly :

• The highly volatile socio-economic and political conditions in
India and the world over makes it difficult and uneconomic
to plan financial expenditure on an annual basis and more so
in the absence of a machinery to monitor the progress on
the budgetary lines.

• The business and economic community in India have become so
intellectuals that they devise methods to neutralize the financially
detrimental effects of the budget on individual classes of the
community, even before it is put in paper.

Despite all this budget announcements in India sparks unprecedented activity among business and economic cirles in the form of indepth analysis, debates, disintegration of its various points and discussion on its implications on mainly the rich and affluential (officially quoted as common man). But unfortunately all these discussions revolve only around what the people will gain or lose from their pockets. None of these discussions focus on the impact of the proposals on the development of the country, strengthening of its infrastructure, long term benefit for the people, efficiency in utilization of the budgeted revenue etc

This year the honourable Finance Minister, himself excellent in his academics, alongwith his elite group of the cream of finance and economic analysts and advisors have devised a highly futuristic, optimistic and politically balanced budget with each of their development proposals given titles that would sound nothing but sweet music to the listeners. Full marks to them for their efforts in the formulation of this budget (no political strings or overtones attached to this statement).

But the real problem is that that there is no mechanism or infrastructure to monitor and publish the extent to which actual performance conform to budget not only on overall fiscal basis but in terms of the individual budget proposals, the progress made thereon, the benefits derived therein, deviations from the budgets and finally achievement of the budgeted goals. Again the so called budget analysis, debates, brain storming etc..(I hope I have used the flashy terminologies) never look into the previous years economic performance and compare it with the budget at all. In fact the absence of such a debate makes the politicians conveniently overlook the budgetary performance each time every time.

So my personal opinion is that budgets are definitely necessary for a fiscal discipline, healthy macro-economic planning and achievement of desired growth in proper direction for the country just as it is necessary for every individual family, but unless there is a proper and detailed follow-up with comparison of the actual performance with the individual budgeted goals, the whole exercise with its huge commercialization and all the prefixes and suffixes accompanying it, becomes meaningless and nothing more than just a display of intellectual glamour.

24 Comments:

  • Hi everybody. Please feel free to comment. even criticism would be a compliment.

    By Blogger hari, at 1:56 AM  

  • Well done Hari.. people easily forget what was said in the previous year's budget and how effective were the schemes... variance between the actuals & the budget were never spelt out..

    I think common man is curious abt whether the gas/petrol price wd rice or his beedi wd be dearer.. so, the media plays to the gallery.

    as for the corporate ppl, apart from those dealing with numbers, most of them wd be curious to know abt their IT cut more than anything else.. ;)

    By Blogger Chakra, at 2:09 AM  

  • hey man..
    realy none of the people thought about this.. dissecting & analyzing how far we achieved in what we planned in the previous year.. now if our political heads think of this... i guess they won't for it..fearing the reality they see.. it's true that we need some authority to monitor the progress or atleast some valuable debate to check how far the previous budget turned into reality...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 PM  

  • Hi Hari, I just do not have the knack to remember finance information. Hence the budget seem very boring to me. But I guess it is important and the fact that our country is doing good adds to the fact that our planners are not way off. The only thing I wish would improve is the value of life. More should be spent in disaster prevention/management, emergency response services, improving government and police services, curbing bribes(through policing if need be).

    By Blogger Summer of 69, at 11:40 PM  

  • Hi Chakra / Chandu,

    it is just that people should think beyond themselves and should take evaluation of performance as a means for self-improvement rather than as an insult, our budgeting will get a great valu-addition that way.

    By Blogger hari, at 12:30 AM  

  • Hi Chakra / Chandu,

    it is just that people should think beyond themselves and should take evaluation of performance as a means for self-improvement rather than as an insult, our budgeting will get a great valu-addition that way.

    By Blogger hari, at 12:30 AM  

  • Hi chakra / chandu,

    Two things have to happen. People should think beyond themselves and evaluation of performance should not be taken as an insult. Our planning and budgeting will automatically get a value-addition.

    By Blogger hari, at 12:45 AM  

  • Excellent article and great thoughts. This will spawn a greater debate because "impact" is a relative term. Any change in policies will take years to trickle down and measuring impact is tough. It will he very helpful to benchmark impact of budget each year. Kudos hari.

    By Blogger kaatss, at 10:30 AM  

  • Well said Hari, but it is only recently that people other than those in the financial sector have started to looking at the budget with a bigger outlook than before when it was just to note whether they would have to spend more from their pockets. So it might take some time for people to start thinking about the previous budget and its achievement. Also if there's an election round the corner, then you can expect more goodies in the bag, with no concern for revenue for the Government. So dont think the government too would be that interested in analysising the previous budget.

    By Blogger PVS, at 3:29 PM  

  • Wow, Hari... you should be writing for financial newspapers, if you arent already! Your posts are better than the articles I used to edit when I worked for The Hindu Business Line - honest!

    By Blogger Shammi, at 2:11 AM  

  • Hey Kaats / PVS,

    Thanks for your comments. Let us hope people's outlook broadens further that they start questioning the progress than restrict to mere debate of budgets

    By Blogger hari, at 7:31 AM  

  • Hey Shyam, you can pull my legs but do not degrade Business Line for that. It is a pretty high quality business daily now. My writing habit started with blog only and may well be limited to blog as this is the only place where there is no specification as to quality and I can rub shoulders with FORMER EDITOR OF BUSINESS LINE. I am truly honoured.

    By Blogger hari, at 7:36 AM  

  • Hi Vidhur,

    Budgets can at best improve the value for our money. Human value can only be improved by quality thoughts in the minds of every citizen and never by policing.

    By Blogger hari, at 7:38 AM  

  • Hari,
    Thats a very thoughtful piece on the budget. Being a journalist I am supposed to study the budget indepth. I am not too good at analysing stocks and stuff. your post was surely informative.

    By Blogger Amrita, at 10:38 PM  

  • Hi Amritha,

    Welcome to my blog. nice to see a lot of journalist into blogging. keep coming and keep blogging.

    By Blogger hari, at 11:12 PM  

  • hari, do you have any other blogs? I have been looking around at
    blogs related to INDIA BUDGET- 2005 and I found your site. I have a site that is
    some what related to your blog and I thought it would help. So I wanted
    to leave you a quick message while I was here. Take a look; you will be
    happy you had did! My site deals with easy ways to make money related information.
    Also I have some great stuff on my site that may be of assistance to
    you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:44 PM  

  • Hello there hari, Do you need help? I have been looking around at blogs related to INDIA BUDGET- 2005 and I found your site.
    I have a site that is some what related to your blog and I thought it would help. So I wanted to leave you a quick message while I was here. Take a look, you will be happy you had did! My site deals with make money web site related information. Plus I have some free stuff on my site that may want to use.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 PM  

  • Hi, I was surfing and searching for some info on radio stations and noticed your site. Your post INDIA BUDGET- 2005 sounded interesting so I took a look. Even though my main interest is radio stations I was glad to stop by and view your interesting comments. I will come back. Thanks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:21 PM  

  • Hello hari, I’m just searching the web for the next big thing on 5careers.com and noticed your great site. Although INDIA BUDGET- 2005 wasn’t actually what I was looking for it DID get my attention and interest. I see now why I found your great
    website when I was searching for 5careers.com related information and I’m thankful I found your blogsite even though its not an exact match. Excellent Post, thanks for the read (It’s a keeper).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 AM  

  • Hello hari, I’m out surfing the web for the latest information on 37earn.com and noticed your nice site. Although INDIA BUDGET- 2005 wasn’t exactly what I was looking for it certainly got my attention. Now I see why I found your page when I was looking for 37earn.com related information and I’m thrilled I found your web site even though its not a perfect match. Great Post, thanks for your informative site.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:13 AM  

  • Hi hari, I’m out searching the web for the latest and greatest information on marketing network and found your great site. Although INDIA BUDGET- 2005 wasn’t specifically what I was looking for it definitely got my interest and attention. I see now why I found your interesting blog when I was looking for marketing network related information and I’m grateful I found your site even though its not a perfect match. Great Post, thanks for your informative site

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:10 PM  

  • Hello there hari, I’m out surfing for a good blog experience on business marketing network opportunity and found your great site. Although INDIA BUDGET- 2005 wasn’t exactly what I’m looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your excellent blog-site when I was searching for business marketing network opportunity related web sites and I’m glad I found your site even though its not an exact match. Excellent Post, thank you for the read.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 PM  

  • Hello there hari, I’m out surfing for a good blog experience on 12income and found your great site. Although INDIA BUDGET- 2005 wasn’t exactly what I’m looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your excellent blog-site when I was searching for 12income related web sites and I’m glad I found your site even though its not an exact match. Excellent Post, thank you for the read.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:03 AM  

  • I found ur blog interesting. U may find blog of arindam chaudhuri - the dean of iipm on this topic inteesting too.

    http://www.arindamchaudhuri.com/india-today-tomorrow/dream-budget-for-indians.html

    By Blogger Ali, at 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home