Hari the Hadron

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

WHERE ARE THE SPARROWS

The Home Sparrows, commonly called as “Kuruvi” in Tamil is nowhere to be seen now. I saw a programme the other day in the TV where they mentioned that the population of Home Sparrows have declined by 50% worldwide in the last 25 years. It is at that point I realized I have not seen a “Kuruvi” for a long time now and felt guilty of my ignorance to the disappearance of a sweet creature that was so much part of the childhood of my generation

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Dear Hari Ur lamenting incid3entally reminds me of 2 things1}'Kuruvi Josyam'linking astrological predictions with sparrows and 2}In vilages and small towns we used to hang a 'Paddy Bowl' containing paddy secured by the hay whch attractedsparrows in to the home.,This has disappeared in urban life.I have spotted yhe sparrows during my visit to my village in November
    All the best parthakrish

    By Blogger Aero Dillon, at 1:29 AM  

  • Hari!
    Though they are drastically reduced in Bangalore as well, I'm always happy to see them when I get the chance.
    Have you seen my post on Bangalore Metblogs on the subject?
    Ravi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:42 AM  

  • Dear Hari,

    Population of Kuruvi has come down drastically because of alarming pollution levels in our
    cities. Kuruvis can be spotted in our villages, I have spotted them a lot during my visit to interior Kerala.

    By Blogger fruitu, at 10:47 PM  

  • What a pity that kuruvis are disappearing in chennai.I love those little delightful creatures.When I used to live in Chennai (years back) there were many.
    At my mom's (in Kerala) they come every day for their daily share of grains and water.(mom feeds them)
    Thanks for the really kind things you said on my blog.

    By Blogger Preeti Shenoy, at 9:48 PM  

  • That is definitely a sad finding. I will not have much birds to show my kids :|

    By Blogger DreamClicks, at 4:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home